A few lessons about interstate child custody and support

Imagine that you and your spouse have a child, and for many years your family lives happily. But then something changes one day, and you and your spouse feel more stressed out and get into more arguments with one another. As the months pass, your marriage disintegrates, and you and your spouse decide that it is time to get a divorce.

Obviously, this is a trying time, but thankfully you and your spouse don't contest custody of your child, leading to joint custody that benefits everyone involved. A few years pass and everything under this arrangement is working out just fine.

But then your spouse informs you that he or she is getting a new job that will take her out of the state. What do the two of you do? How does custody work now that the two of you will be living in different states?

Interstate custody is indeed complicated, but that doesn't mean it is an insurmountable hurdle. There are laws that apply to almost every state in order to ensure a fair and balanced child custody system in case of interstate disputes. The state that makes the determination on the dispute is usually the child's home state, though there are certain circumstances where that may change (for example, if abuse or the child's safety is involved).

It is also important to realize that in addition to child custody arrangements being able to change, child support agreements can also be altered in light of a move or new life circumstances.

Source: FindLaw, "Interstate Custody Arrangements," Accessed July 30, 2015 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Seek Legal Advice Today. Call 631-265-7200.

Email Us For A Response

Choose Experience To Protect Your Rights

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Local: |

400 Town Line Road
Suite 170
Hauppauge, NY 11788

Phone: 718-737-7181
Phone: 631-265-7200
Fax: 631-265-7578
Hauppauge Law Office Map

1103 Stewart Avenue
Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530

Phone: 718-737-7181
Phone: 631-265-7200
Fax: 631-265-7578
Map & Directions

7 Bayview Avenue
Northport, NY 11768

Phone: 718-737-7181
Phone: 631-265-7200
Fax: 631-265-7578
Map & Directions

186 Joralemon Street
Suite 1202
Brooklyn, NY 11201

Phone: 718-737-7181
Phone: 631-265-7200
Fax: 631-265-7578
Map & Directions