As a driver, it’s important that you never become too comfortable with your surroundings. Instead, you must remain alert at all times.
There are many common causes of car accidents, with these five among the most worrisome:
- Distracted driving: Any form of distracted driving increases the risk of a crash, such as texting, talking on the phone, eating or drinking.
- Drunk driving: For many years, drunk driving has been a leading cause of car accidents and related injuries and deaths
- Reckless driving: There are many forms of reckless driving, such as speeding and illegal passing. It’s imperative to always obey the rules of the road, as they’re enforced for a reason.
- Inclement weather: This includes conditions such as rain, snow, ice, sleet and strong winds. When the weather changes, so should your driving style. For example, slowing down on icy roads is a must.
- Traffic: Traffic patterns can change without notice, so you must always pay attention to the road ahead. For example, an accident on the highway can result in a complete stop of traffic. If you’re not paying attention, you could strike a vehicle that’s stopped ahead.
With so many common causes of car accidents, you must never lose sight of what’s important when you’re behind the wheel.
In the event that another driver causes an accident, immediately call 911 to explain what’s happening. From there, check yourself for injuries and wait for paramedics and police to arrive.
After you’re stabilized at a local hospital, you can formulate a plan that entails filing an insurance claim and learning how to seek compensation from the negligent party.